A lot of people are blogging these days and most enter it blindly thus quitting after few months, here are some tips to help you succeed in your blogging career.
- Do not blog because everybody is blogging: There are many other ways to make money online asides blogging, don’t just follow the bandwagon and then crash.
- Do not blog about what everybody is blogging: In Nigeria simply because Linda Ikeji is making it big in the entertainment niche, everybody wants to blog about entertainment. This is the major cause of failure for bloggers.
- Find what you are good out and blog passionately about it, this way it will be fun to do and the money will be an added bonus. For example, I blog about technology which is something I am passionate about so I enjoy it and I’m also paid for it, Cool right? There are many niches you can focus on: Fashion, Photography, Cooking, Food Criticism, Politics and so on, browse Google and find out.
- Ensure you make out time for your blog: A blog which is not taken care of will die off sooner than later because Google and other search engines will rank it poorly.
- Make sure you write original articles with at least 200 words per article on the average: It is of paramount importance that you always write articles yourself, DO NOT COPY AND PASTE!!! This is one of the things killing Nigerian bloggers, everybody is copying and pasting, In my early days as a blogger, this is what I usually did and it killed my blogs. Making money from blogging is not easy, you have to work for it.Google Adsense which is the main source of income for bloggers and website owners is very difficult to get into especially if you copy and paste, also in order to be ranked high in search results (Appear on Google first page) you must have very good and original articles posted regularly.
- Optimize your blog or website for Search Engines: This is very necessary, you can’t just sit down, fold your arms and think you will start getting huge traffic and start making millions of naira, LOL at you if you think so! You have to do what is called SEO (Search Engine Optimization), you see, most of the visitors you can expect to get will be from search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. Most people do not go beyond Google’s first page when searching for something and there are thousands of blogs and websites with similar content to yours so in order to stand out and be in Google’s first page and at the top of the page, you have to optimize your site. More on this will be discussed in subsequent posts.